Freebies4All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freebies4All

A place to post and share Freebies

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)

Go down 
+3
teletalker
Nikki
Donna
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Donna
Admin
Donna

Number of posts : 2549
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Empty
PostSubject: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)   Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 10:30 am

Definition
Like many people, you may develop cabin fever during the winter months. Or you may find yourself eating more or sleeping more when the temperature drops and darkness falls earlier. While those are common and normal reactions to the changing seasons, people with seasonal affective disorder (SAD) experience a much more serious reaction when summer shifts to fall and on to winter.

With seasonal affective disorder, fall's short days and long nights may trigger feelings of depression, lethargy, fatigue and other problems. Don't brush this off as simply a case of the "winter blues" that you have to tough out on your own.

Seasonal affective disorder is a type of depression, and it can severely impair your daily life. That said, treatment — which may include light box therapy — can help you successfully manage seasonal affective disorder. You don't have to dread the dawning of each fall or winter.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seasonal-affective-disorder/DS00195

Last edited by Donna on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://freeplease.rpg-board.net
Nikki
Nikki

Number of posts : 3500

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)   Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 12:34 pm

wow thanks for the info Donna . It does make a lot of sense if u think about it. I will let my family know as well . Wink
Back to top Go down
teletalker
Advanced Member
teletalker

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)   Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 1:04 pm

Thanks Donna- I'd never heard of this. I admit I tend to get cabin fever during the winter since I dont get out much- spring/summer/fall I can sit outside and enjoy the weather and it gets me out of the hosue. But working at home, not going out to work can after a couple weeks get to me- trips to the library and grocery store are fun! So I can see how this could be bad for some people. For me it's the cabin fever every couple weeks, that's as bad as it gets for me. After reading this I count myself lucky.
Back to top Go down
IstaHunwi
Advanced Member
IstaHunwi

Number of posts : 1101

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)   Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 9:49 pm

I've known about this for a long time. I had thoughts of it a long time ago and did some research and found out about all of that. I think it's very natural for the season's to affect our 'moods' and whatnot. Our deepest connection comes from the Earth, so it's only natural that it has some kind of affect on us. The easiest way to deal with all of this is prepare for it. You know what you're like during certain seasons. Take this knowledge and come up with a 'battle' plan for combating negative moods. If you take the time to prepare what works best for you, it'll be easier to deal with what comes and to shorten the effects it has on you. This is how I've done it for years. I'm not saying I don't still get 'blue' in the winter, but acknowledging the fact of why I feel the way I do and that other things are affecting it (short days, cold weather, ect) allows me to have control and confidence over the situation. I also recently made up emergency Stress and Sadness kits. I have a bag of things that work great for me to combat these two issues. A few things in the kit, for example, are... Comedic book, chocolate (the good stuff), journal/ pen, fav magazine, list of 25 things hubby loves and adores about me (this is great when you're feeling down on yourself!), fav candle, soothing cd, ect. By having it all together, I just pull out the bag and begin to relax and feel better and I don't have the added stress of figuring out what would make me feel better (when you feel horrible... nothing seems as great for you). So far, this has worked great and I'm making one up for my SIL for Christmas. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DreamWeaver
Ast. Admin
DreamWeaver

Number of posts : 2174

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)   Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 10:48 am

Actually more people suffer from this than they realize. It is common, with less natural light, that a person tends to become depressed. The sun is one of our greatest allies in helping out with depression. Tanning beds are an excellent therapy for this in the winter.
Back to top Go down
teddybare812
Advanced Member
teddybare812

Number of posts : 251

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)   Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 2:15 pm

Great article. I guess I have reverse SAD, because I love fall and winter. I hate summer, and cant stand the bright sun. Fall is my favorite season, when it is cool and the sun hardly shines. To be fair though, I already do take medication for depression, so maybe its just because I feel more comfortable without the sunshine.
Back to top Go down
Donna
Admin
Donna

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)   Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 9:12 pm

Yes Dream I agree on the tanning bed therapy, even my DR agrees with that statement. I am lucky to have one at home and use. I am going to make myself tan 7 min a day this season. I have you guys now to even make me do it.OL
Back to top Go down
Lillen
Advanced Member
Lillen

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)   Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:57 pm

I'm actually looking forward to winter ... I love sleeping in a cold room with a bunch of big fluffy comforters! Sleep
Back to top Go down
IstaHunwi
Advanced Member
IstaHunwi

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)   Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 9:50 am

lol Yes, I'm looking forward to it as well. I hate summer. I prefer all other seasons. However, I have deep affection for winter since it allows me to be my normal HSP without appearing so anti-social to the rest of the world. Plus, I love getting all snuggly, cuddly, and reading a book or watching a good movie. Now, if I could just live some place where it snowed just one decent snow, I'd be thrilled. (I love how snow gives you a glimpse into the purity of nature and also allows for that 'cocoon' feeling.)
Back to top Go down
teletalker
Advanced Member
teletalker

Number of posts : 1410

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)   Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 5:01 pm

If I could box up and send just one snow of ours to you Ista, I would so you could have that feeling. We get at least one bad storm every winter that gives us over 10 inches of snow. I do admit that when it snows like that it usually starts with small flakes and it is pretty coming down and I like watching it. I just don't like the shoveling that goes along with the pretty snow. lol Your emerency stress and sadness kit is a wonderful idea!
Back to top Go down
IstaHunwi
Advanced Member
IstaHunwi

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)   Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 11:53 am

I responded to the previous post, Tele. I think you saw it and responded (I didn't see your response before it was gone). Please let me know if you saw it since it was mainly directed towards the post you made above. Wink Thankies.
Back to top Go down
Donna
Admin
Donna

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)   Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:56 am

this time of year will be here soon so wanted to bump it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)   Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Freebies4All :: Chit Chat and whatever else!-
Jump to: